I work with Nordics Lab, who offers a great range of genetic tests:
DNA Health® tests for genetic variations that are known to have a significant effect on health and susceptibility to chronic diseases such as osteoporosis, cancer, neural tube defects, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes, amongst others.
Nutrigenomics research has shown that individualised diet and lifestyle choices do have a significant effect on the expression of these genes – but this also depends on early detection and appropriate intervention.
DNA Health® reports on genes involved in the following areas:
• Cholesterol metabolism and responsiveness to Diet
• Food responsiveness, such as sensitivities to lactose, caffeine and salt intake
• Bone Health
• Oxidative Stress
• Insulin Resistance
The genes comprising the DNA Diet test have associations with body weight and body mass index. Recent clinical data found that the addition of nutrigenetically tailored diets resulted in better compliance, longer-term BMI reduction and improvements in blood glucose levels.
DNA Diet will allow the practitioner to give personalised diet & lifestyle recommendations based on the DNA Diet genetic result.
DNA Diet reports on the following areas:
• Variations linked to obesity and being overweight
• Ability to lose or gain weight easily
• Responsiveness to exercise
• Mobilisation of fat from fat cells
• Ability to metabolise fats for energy
• Metabolic rate
• Absorption rate of dietary fat
DNA Sport tests genetic variants that influence injury risk, recovery, as well as power and endurance performance.
Results provide insight into various biological areas that impact training responsiveness and sporting performance, optimal exercise selection, and injury and recovery strategies.
DNA Sport reports on the following areas:
• Structural integrity of soft tissues
• Inflammation & oxidative stress
• Blood flow: blood pressure & oxygenation
• Cardiopulmonary capacity
• Energy during exercise
• Fuel during exercise
• Caffeine metabolism
• Muscle fibre type and bone composition
• Endurance/aerobic capacity
• Power/strength potential
Genetic variations involved in key biological processes that contribute toward the risk of development of mental health disorders may give insight to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disease.
The DNA Mind test analyses 30 genes which have been shown to have significant associations with key mental health disorders.
DNA Mind reports on associations in the following areas:
• Neurodegenerative disorders - mild cognitive decline and late onset Alzheimer’s disease
• Mood disorders - Depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder & post-traumatic stress disorder
• Addictive behaviour - Risk for alcohol, nicotine, cannabis & opioid dependence, psychosis response from cannabis use, eating disorders (binge eating), adrenaline seeking /risk-taking behaviour
Improving oestrogen metabolism is of benefit to women who suffer from oestrogen-dominant conditions such as endometriosis, premenstrual syndrome and uterine fibroid tumors.
Research has shown that an increased lifetime exposure to oestrogen is a strong risk factor in the development of breast cancer.
DNA Oestrogen tests for gene variants that have been shown to have an impact on how oestrogen is metabolised and therefore may help individuals’ lessen the risk for developing breast cancer.
DNA Oestrogen reports on the following areas:
• Phase 1 detoxification
• Phase 2 detoxification
• Oxidative stress
• Personal risk factors associated with HRT, Oral contraceptives, bio-identical supplementation and in vitro fertilisation
• Intervention strategies for at risk patients.
DNA skin aims to improve the visual signs of aging by focusing on interventions that are suited to your unique DNA.
The DNA Skin test analyses 18 genes involved in important areas related to skin health.
• Regulation of collagen formation and breakdown, giving insight into the firmness and elasticity of the skin
• Sun sensitivity & pigmentation
• Sun damage, protection & repair mechanisms
• Protection from oxidative stress
• Detoxification & inflammation, giving insight into general skin sensitivity
Keep in mind that genetics are not your destiny!
We can modulate genes, turning them “off”
Genes load the gun, while lifestyle pulls the trigger!
Should you wish to take one or more of the above genetic tests: